Friday, June 24, 2016

Food as Medicine

Almost a year ago, I realized at age 50 that I needed to make a change in the way I was eating.  It all started when I watched a show called "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix recommended by a friend of the family, Kerrie Roberts.  It talked about eating a plant-based diet which I really had no intention of doing.  I didn't have any hemp clothing -- I don't want to live in a commune -- plus, the only vegetables I like are potatoes and green beans (and then, only in moderation).  

 I loosely remember my daughter recommending some healthier foods, but I was probably committed to some other diet or MY own hybrid version of it.  Of course all of my degrees in Occupational Safety and Computers and Religious Studies had obviously prepared me as a master nutritionist.  What would people that have done research for 30 years possibly know that I couldn't deduce from my vast experiences?  

What made a difference was when I took a look at my medicines.  One  of the medicines was Simvastatin (a statin drug), which lowers cholesterol by slowing the production of an enzyme in the liver.  The next drug was atenolol which is a beta blocker.  Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine, also known as adrenaline. When you take beta blockers, the heart beats more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure.  So already we have slowed my heart and my liver.  

The next two were a little less intense.  Hydrochlorothiazide, known as a diuretic, is a drug that basically speeds up the kidneys to release salt and cause lower blood pressure.  The last drug, allupurinol is used to treat gout by reducing levels of uric acid.  I take one other drug because I had a couple of seizures a few years back.  Of course, all drugs have side effects.    

My journey into the plant-based world was to see if I could get off some the medication.  Under the care of a physician, after about two and a half months, I was able to stop taking the first four medications.  Not only did if feel better, I lost 25 pounds in the first few months. When I discovered that it was actually not painful at all to eat this way, I was hooked.  I can't imagine living differently.  We are 100% whole-food, plant based and we love it!

I try not to tell anyone else what to do with their life, but I'm not sure why anyone would like to hold on to the probability of disease and unhealthy lifestyle just because they like the taste of something.  My tastes have changed dramatically and we love all the new things we create!  In reality, there is more flavor in the dishes we eat now than before.   

If you need more information, I recommend the following sites:






































No comments:

Post a Comment